First Reading - Isaiah 55:1-3
Second Reading - Romans 8:35,37-39
Gospel - Matthew 14:13-21
In the first reading, the prophet Isaiah extends a beautiful invitation from God: "Come, all you who are thirsty." God does not invite only those who have everything together. He invites those who are thirsty, those who know their need. He says, "Why spend your money for what is not bread, and your wages for what does not satisfy?" It is a question each of us must answer. Where am I looking for happiness? Am I seeking lasting joy in God, or am I trying to fill my heart with things that can never truly satisfy?
The Gospel shows us how God responds to our deepest needs. A large crowd follows Jesus into a deserted place. They are tired, hungry, and far from home. The disciples see only the problem: "We have only five loaves and two fish." But Jesus sees an opportunity to reveal God's abundant love. He takes the little they have, blesses it, breaks it, and gives it to the crowd. Everyone eats, and there is even food left over.
This miracle is about much more than bread. It reveals the heart of Jesus. He notices the hungry. He has compassion on them. And He provides more than they could have imagined.
The same Lord still feeds us today—not only with material blessings but with His Word and, above all, with His Body and Blood in the Eucharist. Every Mass reminds us that Christ is the Bread of Life. He alone can satisfy the deepest hunger of our hearts.
In the second reading, Saint Paul tells us why we can trust this Lord completely. He asks, "Who will separate us from the love of Christ?" His answer is powerful: nothing. Not hardship, not suffering, not danger, not even death can separate us from the love God has shown us in Christ Jesus.
That is our hope. The God who feeds the hungry, who invites the thirsty, and who loves us without limits will never abandon us.
Dear friends, today's readings leave us with three simple questions.
What am I truly hungry for?
Am I bringing what little I have to Jesus and trusting Him to bless it?
And do I really believe that nothing can separate me from His love?
Let us come to Jesus with our hunger, our worries, our hopes, and our limitations. Like the five loaves and two fish, they may seem small in our eyes. But in His hands, they become more than enough.
May we leave this Eucharist with hearts that seek Christ above all else, trusting that He alone can satisfy our deepest hunger and that His love will never fail us.
Amen.

0 Comments