💖 HOMILY - SEPTEMBER 15 💖

First Reading - 1 Corinthians 12:12-14,27-31 

Gospel - John 19:25-27


We live in a world where people can easily become divided: by differences of opinion, background, language, culture or personal interests. Sometimes we focus so much on our differences that we forget something fundamental: we belong to one another.

This is the message that connects today's readings: we are not meant to live for ourselves; we are called to belong to one another in Christ.

In the first reading, St. Paul uses the image of the human body to explain the Christian community. A body has many parts, but all the parts belong to one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, “I do not need you,” nor can the head say to the feet, “I do not need you.”

In the same way, each one of us has a different place and a different gift, but we are all members of the one Body of Christ. Our differences are not meant to separate us. They are meant to help us serve one another.

The Gospel gives us a beautiful example of this kind of relationship. As Jesus hangs upon the cross, he sees his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby. He says to Mary, “Woman, behold, your son,” and to the disciple, “Behold, your mother.”

Even in the midst of his suffering, Jesus creates a relationship of care and responsibility. Mary receives John as her son, and John receives Mary into his home. At the very moment when Jesus is giving his life, he also creates a new family.

This reminds us that Christian community is not simply a group of people who happen to gather together. It is a family in which we are responsible for one another. We cannot say, “That person has nothing to do with me.” Like the different parts of the body, we need one another.

Sometimes we may think that only the important or visible members of the community matter. But St. Paul reminds us that every member has a role. Some have the gift of teaching, others of serving, encouraging, caring, listening or simply being present when someone is suffering. No gift is insignificant when it is offered for the good of others.

The question for us today is: How am I contributing to the life of the people around me? Am I building unity or creating division? Do I notice when someone is struggling? Do I make space for others? Do I use my gifts only for myself, or do I use them to serve?

Standing beneath the cross, Mary and the beloved disciple show us that love creates responsibility. Jesus does not leave them alone; he entrusts them to one another.

As members of the Body of Christ, we too are entrusted to one another. Let us therefore learn to appreciate our differences, recognize the gifts of others, and care for those who have been placed in our lives.

May we never forget that we belong to one another, and may our lives become a living expression of the love that Christ showed us from the cross.


Post a Comment

0 Comments